Ethan Boldt, Chief Content Officer of Direct Marketing IQ, the research division of publisher Target Marketing, surveyed and shared the results of direct marketing trends for nonprofits in 2011 with glimmers of trends in 2012. In case you missed his direct marketing trend video post, here is what Boldt shared.
- Personalization, including Variable Data Printing (VDP) has grown by 6% in all sectors.
- Freemiums slipped by 14% because of rising postage costs. In 2011 labels were the No. 1 freemiums; stickers were the No. 2 freemium and notepads were the No. 3 freemium.
- Premiums shifted ranks with the tote bag no longer being the No. 1 giveaway by nonprofits. Now books are No. 1; totes No. 2; and DVDs are No. 3.
Variable Data and Other Nonprofit Marketing Trends in 2012
According to the Association of Fundraising Professionals(AFP), social media and mobile giving continue to influence campaigns. The AFP shared these additional 2012 fundraising trends for marketers to build the most effective campaigns on and offline.
- Online and new media channels continue to expand. Online fundraising is up 40% in 2012.
- Peer-to-peer engagement is vital. Nonprofits should tap into their most vocal supporters who are most likely to influence the giving of their sphere, associations and friends.
- Donor fatigue is building. Tailored communications directed right at a donor is imperative as information overload builds in the land of social media.
- Integrated marketingwill rise to new heights. Strategic communications harnessing the power of multi-channel marketing is the fuel that makes future fundraising campaigns take flight.
- Personalization is a must. As Boldt noted, one size fits all approaches are so 80s. Personalized newsletters, direct mail that taps digital printing and emails show supporters you know them. By showing that you know their preferences in giving and you are able to better ensure your message won’t be deleted or thrown in the trash.
- Quality data should take front and center of any nonprofit campaign. He who gathers, scrubs, segments and keeps his data current, meets the fundraising mission fastest, according to Karen Zapp of Pkscribe.com– a nonprofit copywriter. This includes targeting groups on social media, using social analytics, and executing micro campaigns
Want more insights? Click here to read how NextPage helped one nonprofit clients achieve outstanding ROI for their fundraising campaigns.
A few more points from Boldt
An analysis of 40 months of data, from January 2009 through October 2011, demonstrates the growth of personalization/VDP in the direct marketing and mailing process*:
- In 2009, 28% of direct mail pieces were personalized.
- In 2010, the number of personalized mail pieces increased to 34% — a 21% increase from the prior year.
- In 2011, seven of the 10 months recorded saw even higher VDP usage – another 21% increase from the prior year and a 46% jump from the 2009 levels.
*Source: Target Marketing, Nuts & Bolts – Trends: 2011 Direct Mail Trend of the Year: VDP, March 2012.
[cmsmasters_row data_width=”fullwidth” data_top_style=”default” data_bot_style=”default” data_color=”default” data_padding_top=”0″ data_padding_bottom=”0″]
[/cmsmasters_row][cmsmasters_row data_classes=”bg-img-np” data_padding_bottom=”10″ data_padding_top=”10″ data_bg_color=”#cf212f” data_color=”second” data_bot_style=”default” data_top_style=”default” data_padding_right=”2″ data_padding_left=”3″ data_width=”fullwidth”][cmsmasters_heading type=”h1″ font_family=”Open+Sans:300,300italic,400,400italic,700,700italic” font_size=”28″ font_weight=”400″ font_style=”normal” text_align=”center” color=”#ffffff” margin_top=”0″ margin_bottom=”10″ animation_delay=”0″]Watch our free seminar, “How Direct Mail is Still the Best Choice for Your Nonprofit Fundraising Efforts” [/cmsmasters_heading][cmsmasters_text animation_delay=”0″]
Learn why direct mail is the most effective medium for fundraising, how to develop a direct mail plan, and the essential elements to include to ensure success.
[cmsmasters_button button_link=”https://go.pardot.com/l/891523/2020-11-17/dqq” button_target=”self” button_text_align=”center” button_font_weight=”normal” button_font_style=”normal” button_border_style=”solid” button_bg_color=”#3b8dc1″ button_text_color=”#ffffff” button_border_color=”#518ff5″ button_bg_color_h=”#ffffff” button_text_color_h=”#518ff5″ button_border_color_h=”#518ff5″ animation_delay=”0″]View Here[/cmsmasters_button]
[/cmsmasters_text][/cmsmasters_row][cmsmasters_row][cmsmasters_column data_width=”1/1″][cmsmasters_divider width=”long” height=”0″ style=”solid” position=”center” margin_top=”20″ margin_bottom=”20″ animation_delay=”0″][cmsmasters_text]